Week #27 was a busy one on the Tennis Europe Junior Tour, with a variety of events across all age groups, led by the kick off of a busy fortnight of team competitions. Here's a round-up of the main news:
12&U European Summer Cups by Dunlop
The following teams have qualified for the finals on Aug 10-13:
- Boys’ Zone A: Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Boys’ Zone B: France and Belgium
- Boys’ Zone C: Germany and Netherlands
- Boys’ Zone D: Hungary and Spain
- Girls’ Zone A: Israel and Czech Republic
- Girls’ Zone B: Italy and Spain
- Girls’ Zone C: France and Ukraine
- Girls’ Zone D: Slovakia and Great Britain
More info from the 12 & Under Summer Cups
16&U/18&U European Summer Cups:
Most qualifying rounds will be played later this week, from 2-4 August, followed by the final rounds from 7-9 August. Some groups were completed just this week and the following teams have already qualified for the finals:
- B16 Zone A: Croatia and Czech Republic
- B16 Zone B: Germany and Netherlands
- G16 Zone A: Czech Republic and Germany
- B18 Zone A: Czech Republic and Great Britain
- G18 Zone A: Belgium and Poland
More info from the 16/18 & Under Summer Cups.
14 & Under Category 1, Annecy:
In a tournament where the eight semifinalist spots in the boys’ and girls’ draws were dominated by non-European players, there was one stand-out player from Europe. Jana Kovackova won her 3rd event of the year, beating Mexico’s Hanna Estrada 6-4 4-6 6-1 in yesterday’s final
The boys’ title went to Luis Augusto Queiroz of Brazil. He beat American and recent Open Stade Français (Cat.1) finalist Michael Antonius. 6-4 6-3.
The boys’ doubles was won by Andrea Baudel (FRA) and Tommaso Pedretti (FRA), while Kovackova backed up her singles win by also taking the doubles trophy with compatriot Tereza Hermanova.
Elsewhere on the Junior Tour this week:
- Already riding high in the Race to Monte-Carlo ranking, Anastastia Cvetkovic (SRB) is currently ranked 10th and will be hoping to rise higher after securing her third singles title of the season in Podgorica.
- The massive Category 2 Müller Ulm Junior Cup, a combined 14 and 16 & Under event, once again attracted a very international draw. Players from Kazakhstan won three titles, players from Australia won three more, and Marco Ontiveros Castro led the home charge, taking the Boys 14 & Under singles.
- Fast-rising Austrian Lea Haider-Maurer won her first 16 & Under title at the Category 2 event in Haid, beating second seed Nikol Marie Jarolimkova (CZE) in the final. The boys’ title went to top seed Mattia Cappellari (ITA), also a first time winner at this level.
- The Category 2 event held at Dukes Meadows in London has had live streaming available all week online and via our app. Brits Evan Lendrum and Rosie Cho both scored their maiden Junior Tour victories, made sweeter by doing so on home soil
As mentioned above, there's lots of international team event action this week, with the 16 & Under Summer Cups being the European qualifying event for the Junior Davis and Billie Jean King Cup compeitions.
Today also marks the second and final day of qualifying at the 14&U Super Category event in Dueren (GER). Main draw matches kick off tomorrow.
To keep up with all the latest from there, and all this week's other events, visit our app or check here.