2022 European Tennis Report
Tennis Europe has published the results of a study examining the tennis ecosystem in 48 countries. The results reflect a sport undergoing a post-pandemic resurgence, and reveal positive trends in participation, affiliation, facilities, and performance across the region.
Key findings include:
- European participation rates are up by 4.6%
- Tournament numbers have bounced back strongly since the pandemic
- Club membership has increased by 6.6% to 5.7 million
- More tennis clubs exist in Europe than at any time since 2009
- 5 nations – France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy & Spain – account for 75% of all European players
- 8,000 newly qualified coaches are working in the sport since 2018
The report is a unique source of statistics and is designed to present the most accurate possible snapshot of European tennis, including national and regional figures for recreational, licensed, and professional players, club membership, clubs, courts, coaches, and international tournaments.
The full 82-page report is available free-of-charge and can be found here in pdf format. Key data can also be viewed on our interactive dashboard (best viewed on a desktop browser).
First published in 2009, the fifth European Tennis Report is the result of a triennial survey of Tennis Europe’s constituent national tennis federations, conducted in association with sports industry research leaders Sporting Insights.